In the spirit of having a true lifestyle blog, I wanted to bring it home to something I absolutely love; I love to cook but I also love simple + healthy recipes. Now that we have an almost eight month old, cooking is getting a little easier [time wise] but let’s face it, who has the energy to cook at the end of a long day? If you do, more power to you, sister!
I bounce around to several different grocery stores throughout the week and another fun fact about me; I HATE to grocery shop. It gives me crazy anxiety and I always end up grabbing way too much! So, my husband grocery shops and I cook; it’s our balance.
Grocery Stores I like and WHY:
- Whole Foods: great for meats, seafood and produce. Sometimes, the produce can be a bit sketch so I like to shop Tues-Thurs when shipments seem to be most fresh. I also like my meats to be organic, antibiotic free + free of any extra pesticides. That same rule goes for my seafood. So, Whole Foods is my jam for these staples.
- Sprouts: great for most staples, they have a good section of organic as well as major gluten-free and dairy-free friendly options; more than the other grocery stores that I have shopped.
- Trader Joes: great for ALL things snacks + goodies in between. Their down fall is their expiration dates are pretty narrow so you almost have to shop there frequently to enjoy the food. But, the price is right and their selection is on point.
Now, on to some of my favorite weekday recipes that are both healthy and simple.
Turkey Meatball Rice Bowl:
- Turkey Meatballs from TJ’s
- Organic Brown Rice from TJ’s
- Organic Green Beans from TJ’s
- Vegan Pesto from TJ’s
- Cashews from TJ’s
- Minced Garlic
- Cook the meatballs in the over at 400 degrees for 25 minutes
- Heat-up the brown rice in the microwave for 3 minutes and set aside [do this when there is about 10 minutes left on the meatballs]
- Add olive oil, salt, garlic and pepper to the green beans — toss and put in over for the last 15 minutes with the meatballs in a pyrex dish
- Add cashews + vegan pesto
- Salt + pepper, toss and ENJOY!
InstantPot Chicken Tikki Masala + Crispy Chickpeas
- [15 oz] Organic Canned Chickpeas
-  Organic Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
-  Cups Brown Rice
- [28 oz] can of tomatoes w/ sauce
- [1 Tbsp] Minced Garlic
- [1 Cup] Coconut Milk | Greek Yogurt
-  Lemon
*I made healthier substitutions from this recipe. I used coconut milk and Greek yogurt over heavy cream and I also used organic, sprouted brown rice instead of basmati rice.
I also added the chickpeas for crunch:
- Drain the can of chickpeas
- Pour over a paper towel and pat completely dry of any liquid
- Toss with olive oil, chopped cilantro. salt + pepper
- Bake in oven on tray for 30-45 minutes at 375 degrees
Shrimp Stir Fry:
- [1/2] pound of medium sized shrimp (uncooked)
- [2 cups] Basmati Rice OR Brown Rice Pasta from TJ’s
-  Organic Zucchini Squash
- [1/2 cup] Cherry Tomatoes
- [2 tbsp] Pine Nuts
- Vegan Pesto from TJ’s
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Cut up the zucchini into cubes and toss in olive oil, garlic powder, salt + pepper and add to a non-stick tray for the oven
- Cook the zucchini in the oven for 15-20 minuets till golden brown and tender
- Cook the rice or pasta till tender and follow packaging instructions
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat
- Add the shrimp and season with paprika, lemon juice, garlic, salt + pepper
- Cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side until fully cooked [min. temp of 145 degrees for seafood in the standard]
- Add the shrimp, zucchini, pine nuts and pesto to the rice and STIR
- Sprinkle w/ parmesan cheese
I am by no means a chef, I am just a mom + wife who enjoys great food w/ simple ingredients that doesn’t take hours to make.
If you are struggling to lose weight like I have over the past few years, having balanced diet + something consistent helps with my journey and I want to share the LOVE.